How big is First CRC family?
Approximately 150 people attend our worship services regularly.
What do you offer for children on Sunday morning?
During the worship service we offer
- Childcare for children ages 0-3 in our nursery area.
- A Kids Corner: Quiet activities for younger children to bring with them to the sanctuary including a children’s bulletin, crayons, markers, coloring books and games.
- A Children’s Message: Children from 3 years old – 5th grade are invited to come to the front of the church for a brief message related to the sermon that day which is told in a way that they can understand and apply to their lives.
- Many of the children in our congregation participate in our worship services as readers, praise team members, greeters, ushers, and in collecting the offering.
Between the months of September and May after the worship service we offer
- Sunday school for children from Kindergarten – 5th grade. The children participate in various activities including group Bible story time, crafts, games, prayer, snacks and Bible lessons with children in their age group.
- Middle School Catechism for children from 6th-8th grade.
- High School Catechism for children from 9th-12th grade.
Does First Church have a youth program?
Yes, we have a middle school and high school youth program as well as a partnership with Young Life. Our programs are built on the idea that relationships are powerful. We value and create space for students to build meaningful relationships with each other, adults and Jesus. In Middle School we focus on foundational faith and community building. In High School we seek to go deeper in personal faith as well as learning how that faith looks in everyday life. Young Life seeks to reach every kid with the good news of Jesus by sending leaders to the school to build relationships. For more info. please see the “Youth” page on the website or visit grandhaven.younglife.org.
What other programs do you offer for children and youth?
- Adult/Child Prayer Partners
- Middle School Youth Group
- High School Youth Group
- For more details on these programs CLICK HERE!
Who works with the children?
Volunteers and staff who work with the children of our church have been trained in our child protection policy and have passed background checks.
What kind of adult education/spiritual growth opportunities do you offer?
- Connections+: A women’s Bible study held from September through April. Tuesday mornings from 9:45-11am at 2nd CRC (2021 Sheldon St, Grand Haven) or Thursday evenings from 7-8:30pm at First CRC.
- Quads: A group of 3-4 people of the same gender who meet regularly (usually weekly) to talk about God’s word and to encourage and pray for each other.
- Up and Adams: A men’s Bible study held every Tuesday morning at 7am in the fellowship room.
- Sermon-Based Small Groups: A group of 8-10 people who meet weekly for the length of a sermon series (usually 4-6 weeks) to dig deeper into topics covered in the sermon, apply the scripture and topics covered in the sermon to their lives and pray for one another. Meetings are held at various days and times during the week. Sign up for the time and day that works best with your schedule.
- Prayer Group: A weekly prayer meeting held in the pastor’s office on Wednesday nights from 6-7pm.
- Adult/Child Prayer Partners
- Second Thoughts for First Believers: Take home sheet in the weekly bulletin with questions related to the passage from the Bible the sermon was based on.
- Personal Discipleship:The staff and leadership at First CRC are available to meet with you to answer questions about what it means to follow Jesus Christ. Contact the church office to set up an appointment.
- Contact Sara Tysman, Director of Discipleship, at email@example.com for more information or to learn how you can join any of these groups.
What kind of outreach is the church involved in?
- Metal Recycling: CLICK HERE!
- Appliance Ministry: We receive donations of working gently used appliances – washers, dryers, refrigerators, and stoves – and deliver them to families who are in need of and cannot afford to purchase these basic necessities. We receive the family requests from Love in Action.
- First Acts of Love: An event where members of the First CRC family come to church on a Sunday afternoon to do “acts of love” for our community and for our church family. There are various “acts of love” to choose from including writing cards, preparing freezer meals, cleaning up yards, prayer walking, visiting members of our church who are in nursing homes or assisted living homes, and doing random acts of love in our community.
- Bibles for Grand Haven: Bibles for Grand Haven Ministry is an outreach ministry of First CRC to make God’s Word, the Bible, accessible to all. Begun over 20 years ago, Bibles are purchased and distributed by First CRC volunteers to public venues such as restaurants, hotels, local hospitals, agencies, and coffee houses where they can be picked up for free by those interested. To help people in their review of the Bible, a brief study guide is inserted into each Bible. Church volunteers also highlight passages in each Bible to guide the reader specifically through the Salvation Story. Funded by donations from First CRC members, every year over 1,000 Bibles are distributed in the West Michigan area.
- Community Events: Three times a year our church invites the community to join us for a fun event. At each event participants are given a free gift of either a Bible Storybook or a Bible Story video DVD. Events include:
– A Winter Break: Participants play games, make crafts, listen to stories and have some snacks.
– A Summer Break: Participants play outdoor games, watch a puppet show, and eat snacks and a hot dog lunch.
–Trunk or Treat: Participants receive Halloween candy, watch a movie, and enjoy refreshments.
When do you worship?
Sunday mornings at 10am in our Sanctuary.
What kind of things do you do in your worship service?
Prayer, praise, Scripture, singing, listening to God and responding to his promises and gifts (dialogue through listening to Scripture and the preaching of the word and responsive readings).
What is a bulletin?
Every week at our Sunday morning worship services we offer a bulletin which includes the schedule of the morning worship service and announcements about the various activities and events happening at our church.
Can a visitor take communion?
We believe all of us come as sinners in need of grace. Communion is a means of grace. Visitors with a relationship with Jesus Christ and baptized members in good standing of a Bible-believing church are welcome to join us at the table.
What accommodations does First CRC have for visitors with hearing or vision problems?
We offer a Loop System for hearing impaired and large print Bibles and hymnals for those with vision problems. Most of the text for our songs during the worship service are displayed with a projector on our large screens located in the front of the sanctuary.
What should I wear to a worship service?
Casual dress is fine.
How do I get connected at First CRC?
Contact the church office at 616-842-6370 or ask any of the members of our church family.
How can I find out about volunteer opportunities?
We offer many opportunities to volunteer in our programs and activities for our church family and in our community. If you are interested in volunteering with us, please contact the church office at 616-842-6370 or firstname.lastname@example.org.